The article at
https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/04/dark-energy-might-not-be-constant-after-all/
says: 'One alternative theory proposes that the universe may be filled with
a fluctuating form of dark energy dubbed “quintessence.” There are also
several other alternative models that assume the density of dark energy has
varied over the history of the universe.'

I'd heard of "quintessence" (a dynamical scalar field throughout space) as
an alternative to a cosmological constant, does anyone know what the
"several other alternative models" with variable dark energy might be?