*"*

*The long-term consequences of today’s decision are stark. The Court
effectively creates a law-free zone around the President, upsetting the
status quo that has existed since the Founding. The President of the United
States is the most powerful person in the country, and possibly the world.
When he uses his official powers in any way, under the majority’s
reasoning, he now will be insulated from criminal prosecution.Orders the
Navy’s Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival? Immune.Organizes a
military coup to hold onto power? Immune.Takes a bribe in exchange for a
pardon? Immune. Immune, immune, immune.Let the President violate the law,
let him exploit the trappings of his office for personal gain, let him use
his official power for evil ends. Because if he knew that he may one day
face liability for breaking the law, he might not be as bold and fearless
as we would like him to be. That is the majority’s message today."*

dts