On 8/19/2024 5:38 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Mon, Aug 19, 2024 at 8:06 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

        />>> //if the Milky way has on produced a handful of vNps
        then it's not so implausible that none of have succeeded or
        even tried.///

    >> I don't know how you figure that. It seems ridiculously
    implausible to mebecause it only takes one.
    /> But how many trying does it take to get one succeeding./

Just ONE bacteria placed in a sterile body of water the size of the Pacific Ocean could spread so that there were millions of bacteria in every square inch of it in just a few weeks, provided the ocean had the correct nutrients. And a Von Neumann probe would be far far less picky about what it considers the "correct nutrients" than a bacteria.
Bacteria are killed by radiation and a von Neumann probe will be too...eventually.  I think you are far too sanguine about how easy it will be to build such a thing and to know it will work for the requisite time to build replicas.  There's a scifi story about a part of the galaxy in which vNp have been built and evolved and are now fighting one another for resources.

Brent

    >> OK, there is no disputing matters of taste.But I think you would
    have to agree that not every intelligent being in the galaxy is
    likely to feel about that the same way as you do ..... as a
    matter of fact you're communicating with such a being right now.
    /> But only those with the capability to do it count.
    /

Yes but as I said before, provided I survive the meat grinder singularity, which I freely admit is problematic, I will have that capacity in a decade or two. And so will you. But if we don't survive something will, and I don't believe that every single one of those somethings will have the exact same likes and dislikes that you do. At least one something is going to want to try a little cosmic engineering.

        > /And we're something like the third or fourth dominant species
        on this planet; dominant in the sense of preventing any other
        potentially technological species./

Sorry, I'm not following you.

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>
cme

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1YXJKMjxeZ%3DXDGNv6pGpFgJoi4q%3DyKPJyh1Na-Zm9Bew%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1YXJKMjxeZ%3DXDGNv6pGpFgJoi4q%3DyKPJyh1Na-Zm9Bew%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.