Hi, I managed to reproduce the bug.

I used a local addressbook and imported the contact via vcard.
But looks like ldap backend handles the E_CONTACT_X509_CERT on
e-book-backend-ldap.c::cert_populate()...

I noticed that when receiving a signed s/mime email from the contact,
Evolution adds it to the certificate database, and you are able to send
encrypted s/mime mail. Maybe as a quick workaround, the importers could add
the certificate to the cert database, if they exist. Haven't thought on the
possible issues, just a dirty idea.

About the required patch, I've been looking on bugzilla for a while now,
but maybe there is a suggestion on a bug to look at?

--
yuuma