Jeeva,

I have found it possible to compile Evolution on Solaris.

Try installing the following packages from the Solaris 8 "Software
Companion" CDROM (comes along with Solaris 8 media). You may need to set
$PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /opt/sfw/bin and /opt/sfw/lib
respectively:

system      SFWaconf             autoconf - GNU autoconf
system      SFWamake             automake - GNU automake
system      SFWbison             GNU bison - a better yacc
system      SFWcvs               cvs - version control system
system      SFWdiffu             diffutils - GNU diffutils
system      SFWflex              GNU flex - a lex replacement
system      SFWgawk              gawk - pattern scanning and processing
language
system      SFWgcc               gcc - GNU Compiler Collection
system      SFWgcmn              gcmn - Common GNU package
system      SFWgdb               gdb - GNU source-level debugger
system      SFWgfile             fileutils - GNU file management
utilities
system      SFWgfind             findutils - GNU find utilities
system      SFWgm4               GNU m4 - macro processor
system      SFWgmake             gmake - GNU make
system      SFWgtar              gtar - GNU tar
system      SFWgtxt              GNU gettext - utilities for software
localization
system      SFWjpg               jpeg - The Independent JPEG Groups JPEG
software
system      SFWncur              ncurses - new curses library
system      SFWpng               PNG - Portable Network Graphics library
system      SFWrline             readline - library for editing command
lines
system      SFWsamba             samba - A Windows SMB/CIFS fileserver
for UNIX
system      SFWsed               GNU sed - streaming editor
system      SFWtexi              GNU texinfo - Texinfo utilities
system      SFWtiff              libtiff - library for reading and
writing TIFF
system      SFWungif             libungif - library used with GIF files

I also have the following packages installed (I don't know how many of
these are *necessary* to compile Evolution, or what the minimum versions
are.

GConf-1.0.0
ORBit-0.5.13
ammonite-1.0.0