On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 21:12, Not Zed wrote:
> >         * Column configuration.  In ETree/ETable, we can remove and add
> >           columns to the view using DnD.  I think GtkTree only allow
> >           moving columns right now, so we would have to re-implement the
> >           "Add Column..." dialog for GtkTree.
>
> I personally find the add column interface somewhat confusing.

Yeah, I am not particularly in love with that one either.

The interface that Anders did (the one whose screenshot Jonathan posted)
actually looks cleaner to me.

> What about grouping, does anyone use that?  Do we even implement it
> anymore?

Not in the mailer.

Anyhow, grouping can be implemented by using a tree in GtkTree.

> The other thing i'd be concerned about is performance.  How well does it
> handle a tree of say 20K+ messages, and how heavy is it on memory and
> stuff like that.

GTK 2 comes with a nice test program for that where you can set the
number of rows to be used.  Could you please have a look?

I have seen it running on Jonathan's machine and, besides the problem
with size computation that I explained in the message (and that can be
worked around pretty easily), it looked pretty snappy to me.

I don't know about memory consumption, though.  That would be worth
investigating.

> speed (one thing etree can not)?  Are the rows fixed height or can they
> be adjusted (we currently only really used fixed height cells, but there
> was always that summary mode people wanted implemented, etc).

Yeah it does individual heights.

> I'm not particularly convinced this is a great idea, though it might be
> easier than porting etree to gtk2, i guess.

Yeah, this is my feeling at least.  Of course I might be horribly wrong,
but I think we should at least take this into serious consideration.

--
Ettore