> performance/scalability and features (asynchronous idle-time syncing?)
> and maintaining consistency (what happens if new mail arrives for folder
> A that you've already synced, while you're syncing folder B?).  It is
> conceptually an atomic operation, it is really part of going offline,
> its not some operation you just do once in a while to an arbitrary
> folder because you feel like it.

I was not making it happen randomly at times.  It would be invoked after
::prepareForOffline.

> "the only way to do it"

"Only sane way to do it".  :-)

> What an absurd statement!  You know that is simply not true, this is
> software we're talking about, not physics.  There are an unlimited
> number of ways to do it.  You could pass a path parameter to the
> progress report, you could run a perl script that starts a tcl/tk
> program to show the progress if you wanted to, you could do any number
> of things, although many of them would obviously not be ideal.  Infact
> there's very little requirement for each folder to be listed as
> synchronising separately anyway.

I don't see how you make the different components deal with a unified
dialog and syncing one folder at a time, if they are not directed by the
shell into doing the syncing operation.

--
Ettore