On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 22:48, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > Besides making it easy to assign keybindings,
> > it also has the big benefit that it is easy to get a list of which
> > commands can be bound (just browse the menus) and it is easy to
> > recollect what the binding for a given command is, because it is listed
> > right on the menu.
>
> the bindings are always listed on the menu, even in Evolution.

Right, not all my points are advantages over the current Mailer binding
scheme; some are advantages over other possible ways to configure
bindings.  For instance, the message composer uses a different scheme to
configure key bindings, and there it isn't easy to see what options are
available to bind, and key bindings aren't listed on the menu (in fact,
they often conflict with what the menu says).

> >     Once this is done, there should be folder navigation options added
> > in either in the Actions menu (because that's where message navigation
> > options are) or in the File menu (because that's where "Go to Folder"
> > currently is).  The navigation options should at least include
> > Next/Previous Folder and Next/Previous Folder with Unread Messages.
>
> there is a Goto menu in the Actions menu, or haven't you looked?

Yes, I mention that there are message navigation options in the Actions
menu right in the paragraph you quoted.

> >     Also, a new shortcut top-level menu should be added, which
> > automatically corresponds to the items in the Shortcut bar.  The default
> > keyboard accellerators for these should just be 1-10 and then A-Z,
> > allowing the first 36 shortcuts to be keyboard accessable.
>
> Can't do that, because alphabeting and numeric keys are used for jumping
> around in the message-list and folder-trees.
>
> Example: if you have the following folders:
>
> Drafts
> Inbox
> Outbox
> Queue
> Sent
>
> hitting the 'q' key will jump you to the Queue folder.

Firstly, what I meant was that 0-9 (not 1-10 duh) and A-Z could be used
to select options from the shortcut menu once it was displayed.  So if
Alt-O options the Shortcut menu, then Alt-O 3 would select the third
item on the Shortcut bar.  This would at least allow the user three
keystroke access to any shortcuts.

    Also, I'm still on 1.1.0.99, and hitting the q or any other key
doesn't do anything.  Is the feature you mention new in CVS?

> > in 1.1.0.99 there doesn't seem to be keybord shortcut for
> > Next/Previous Message!)
>
> Sure there is... '>' and '<' respectively.

Is this also new in CVS?  In 1.1.0.99 '<' and '>' don't do anything (and
no shortcuts are listed besides prev/next in the Actions->Go To menu.

> Anyways, as I told the author of the previous post - this is not the
> proper list for making feature requests, you want [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> This list is for discussing implementation details.

I was hoping to discuss how to implement adequate key bindings.

--
Ben Escoto