I'm not very familiar with using the terminal but I tried the commands again
and got the Evo warning message. But in the terminal there is then no prompt I
tried writing --force-shutdown (didn't do anything) and evolution
--force-shutdown (didn't do anything). So I clicked close in the warning
message. This gave a prompt. I typed evolution --force-shutdown and got:
Shutting down evolution-alarm-notify (Evolution Calendar alarm notification
service)

Then I tried the commands again but with no success.
Peter