Interesting comments, thanks. I have recently started using Ubuntu Linux after
about 12 years on Windows running my small business with a few networked PCs. I
know little about computers and software but I managed without external support
during that time, using Win95 then Win98 and learning what I needed as
necessary from books and the Web.

But I'm unusual as a Windows user in that I've never used Outlook Express. I
used Turnpike email software which was developed by a small company called
Turnpike in the UK and provided by my ISP (Demon Internet) as part of their
package. Turnpike was very quirky and nothing like Outlook or Evolution but it
has never let me down in about 8 years even though it has accumulated about
6000 email messages/attachments on each PC, from all over the world and with
all sorts of content. Being quirky, it also helped protect me from security
threats!

So I guess I have been spoilt by this experience. I got my Evolution problem
solved through this mailing list but it was fortunate that at this time I am
still running a PC with Turnpike and had access to my mail during the problem.
I may well install Thunderbird as well as Evolution for a time and see (a) how
well Evo continues to perform and (b) how well Thunderbird suits me. I was
using Evo because it comes as default with Ubuntu and I'm trying to stay with
the default packages where possible.

Peter