On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 09:03 +0100, Peter Saffrey wrote:
> > Or, you can build the latest version yourself if you want to go that
> > route.  It's not trivial but it's not too bad.
see
http://www.go-evolution.org/Compiling_Evolution_from_SVN

> I've had a quick go at this. Evo 2.12 is not available from the main
> downloads page:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/download.shtml
>
> So I used svn to get the latest version. This required a little guess
> work since the svn instructions were generic to Gnome and I only wanted
> Evolution.

see above link also

> The compilation instructions were generic GNU instructions and said
> there would be a configure script, which there wasn't. I tried make but
> it said no targets. I tried running "./autogen.sh" and it said "You need
> to install gnome-common from the GNOME CVS" - this is probably because
> I'm trying to build in a user directory so I don't overwrite the old
> version.
not sure what you mean here -- you can build in any directory for which
you have the proper permissions. seems like you're missing some common
gnome development packages ( what distro are you using? ).

re overwrite the old version -> if you mean you don't want to overwrite
the distro supplied version, then pass
--prefix=/path/to/non-standard/directory to autogen.sh/configure.  Then
make install will install the exes and libs
in /path/to/non-standard/directory/bin && lib.  Then prefix your PATH
accordingly ( you may also have to ldconfig the lib path ).