On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 23:40 +1000, Dave Hellewell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm using the Debian testing package of Evolution 2.22.1, and I'm very
> excited about the external editor plugin. However, I am unable to get
> evolution to use an external editor.
>
> The plugin appears and is checked in the plugin manager (although there
> are no configuration options), and there is an entry "Compose in
> External Editor" in the File menu, although there is no associated
> submenu.
>
> Has anyone had any success with this plugin on a similar system, and is
> there any further configuration that I might have missed?

It is highly unfriendly in 2.22.1

You need to set EDITOR environment variable to any editor you want.

Otherwise, you will have to install gvim in your machine which will be
taken as the default editor.

This has improved a lot with the trunk. But because of the UI breaks
introduced I couldn't port it to 2.22.X

May be it is a good idea to ask your distro to patch the plugin with
changes from trunk.

> Cheers,
>
> -Dave

Sankar
Your greatest danger is letting the urgent things crowd out the
important. - Charles E. Hummel