On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 18:08 -0400, George Reeke wrote:

<lots of deletion>
> Thanks,
> George Reeke
>
> Here is the text of my error message:
> The application "gconf-editor" attempted to change an aspect of your
> configuration that your system administrator or operating system
> vendor does not allow you to change.  Some of the settings you have
> selected may not take effect, or may not be restored next time you use
> the application.
>
> No database available to save your configuration:  Unable to store a
> value at key '/apps/evolution/shell/view_defaults/height', as the
> configuration server has no writable databases.  There are some common
> causes of this problem:  1) your configuration path file /etc/gconf/2/
> path doesn't contain any databases or wasn't found 2) somehow we
> mistakenly created two gconfd processes 3) your operating system is
> misconfigured so NFS file locking doesn't work in your home directory
> or 4) your NFS client machine crashed and didn't properly notify the
> server on reboot that file locks should be dropped.  If you have two
> gconfd processes (or had two at the time the second was launched),
> logging out, killing all copies of gconfd, and logging back in may
> help.  If you have stale locks, remove ~/.gconf*/*lock.  Perhaps the
> problem is that you attempted to use GConf from two machines at once,
> and ORBit still has its default configuration that prevents remote
> CORBA connections - put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in /etc/orbitrc.  As always,
> check the user.* syslog for details on problems gconfd encountered.
> There can only be one gconfd per home directory, and it must own a
> lockfile in ~/.gconfd and also lockfiles in individual storage
> locations such as ~/.gconf

I think at this point I'd leave Gnome entirely for TWM or KDE or
whatever else you have on your machine, shut down gconftool-2 with
"gconftool-2 --shutdown", do the same for evolution, "evolution
--force-shutdown",  and then try setting my desired values with
gconf-editor.

--
N. B. Day
39° 28.3964' North, 119° 48.6346' West, 1403m up