On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 17:46 -0700, John Maxwell wrote:

> Kojak,
> I am back in town, took my netbook with me to see if it could send
> email. I fired up WiFii radar, found a node and was sending and
> receiving email. I am now working with the default firewall to open port
> 587 to get it to work on my Verizon ISP. Most frustrating.

It still isn't necessarily a firewall issue. Have you tried telnet'ing
to the host using port 587? Or even 25 to start with? Also try tracing
the path to see who is refusing you.

My money is on a relaying issue as mentioned by Kojak. I had the same
problem with my past provider. They forced me to use them to deliver and
purposely block outgoing TCP 587. I had SSH access to the intended host
so I simply set an SSH tunnel using gtunnel(or something like that -
can't remember now). Thankfully they weren't also blocking 22! I've
since ditched that provider for being restrictive in all the wrong
ways ;).

        Cheers,
        Phil