On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 14:28 -0800, Kip Warner wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 22:07 +0000, evolution-list-requ...@gnome.org
> wrote:
> >         I want to try 2.29 to see what it has improved upon.  I have
> >         little
> >         experience with Linux.  I have Ubuntu 9.10.  I have downloaded
> >         the file
> >         and have extracted it.  However, I find no install or setup
> >         file as you
> >         would in Windows.  I still can't understand why in Linux such
> >         simple
> >         things are made so darn complicated.  How can I figure this
> >         program out
> >         if I can't even figure out how to install it?
> >
> >         Bryan
>
> Sadly, Bryan, you and I are in the same boat. We have to wait for our
> package maintainer to push the new packages into the apt servers.
> However, you might find debs somewhere out on the web but they probably
> have newer runtime dependencies then we will find in the universe /
> multiverse.

Sorry, this is a bit of a troll but...

If you were using OpenSUSE, you could just search the build service and
then "one-click install" the latest version which would automatically
add the repository and install the package.

http://software.opensuse.org/search

The point being, if you really need to use packages before they are
pushed into the official distribution, OpenSUSE has very easy mechanism
for that (one-click).

Ironically though, 2.29 is not yet a package on the system so I guess my
advocacy is self-defeating. :| Should be available in a few days though.

--
John Lange
http://www.johnlange.ca