On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 15:27 -0500, Darren Govoni wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 15:19 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > I had these issues until I understood that the deleted messages are not
> > > deleted. They are simply hidden. Thus the mailboxes become huge and
> > > unusable. There is no automatic purge of deleted messages. This is a
> > > flaw in the design of Evolution.
> > That would make no sense for a local desktop application - to have to
> > have a database instance to store [cache] mail?
> There are numerous embeddable SQL transactional databases that provide
> fast, reliable
> and ACID properties that would greatly improve the speed and
> durability of something
> important like email.
> Since its now clear that Evolution has scaling issues,

I disagree.

> moving in this design direction should be a good thing.

Have you tried them with large amounts of data, with BLOBs [which is
essentially what an e-mail message is]?  In my experience they fall
down, *hard*.  The meta-data databases in current versions uses SQLite
[I believe];  the actual messages are stored in the filesystem [1]
(which seems reasonable to me).  I'd agree that anytime the meta-data
database gets whacked it is a bug.

[1] I don't recall how; if they are mbox [which might have a 2GB issue]
or if they [the developers] switched to maildir or mh or something else.