On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 00:20 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Incoming mail is never included.  When I click "Send/Receive" a
> progress
> box appears very briefly (maybe about 100 msec), about the time it has
> appeared in the past for an empty spool file, no mail in included, and
> the mail spool file is unchanged.  There is some odd stuff in an
> strace
> log, which is appended below.  It looks like evolution is attempting
> access the mail spool file as a directory.  Does anyone know what's
> going on or how to fix it?
>
> futex(0x3b869164e8, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 1
> futex(0x2388fc0, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 1
> access("/var/spool/mail/jonrysh", F_OK) = 0
> stat("/var/spool/mail/jonrysh/folders.db", 0x7fffe2a698c0) = -1
> ENOTDIR (Not a directory)

Clearly the configuration is wrong. Evolution thinks
that /var/spool/mail/jonrysh is your actual local mailstore, whereas in
fact it's the mail spool file (and of course not a directory). My setup
is exactly the same (and has always been so) and it works, so I've no
idea why you're getting this error, but conceivably it's because it's a
fresh installation, recalling that Evo 3.x now uses maildir rather than
mbox -- though I don't see why that should affect the spool file.

You might try selecting "Standard Unix mail spool file" instead of
"Local Delivery".

poc