On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 11:08 -0800, walt wrote:
> I have an x86 (gentoo) machine where I've installed xfce4 along side
> gnome3 (because IMHO gnome3 isn't ready yet) and I want to use evolution
> from inside xfce4 instead.

There shouldn't be any problem;  external sessions services are accessed
via D-Bus, so as long as that is working [and it hasn't been broken
anywhere I've seen in ages] and the dependencies are installed it will
just work.

> Evolution works normally when run inside gnome3, but when run from inside
> xfce4 it sits for 10 or 15 seconds and then dies with this:
> $evolution
> (evolution:7056): e-menu-tool-button.c-CRITICAL **:
> menu_tool_button_clone_image: assertion `image_type == GTK_IMAGE_ICON_NAME'
> failed
> (evolution:7056): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_show: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET
> (widget)' failed
> (evolution:7056): e-utils-WARNING **: Icon 'mail-attachment' not present in
> theme
> e-utils-ERROR **: Icon 'gtk-missing-image' not present in theme

None of these are error, just warnings.

> Trace/breakpoint trap

Eh?  This is gentoo right?  You screwed up the build.

> Can you see anything obviously wrong with this setup?  Evolution seems to
> be trying to contact somebody or listen to a socket, maybe?  What things
> should evolution normally do during the first few seconds after starting?

Sit their quietly waiting for the user.

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>