>   $ gconftool-2 --get /apps/evolution/addressbook/sources | grep file:
> which should usually return no lines, but for you, I believe, it'll
> return 6 hits

It did indeed!

> as for you it should be just about getting rid of "file://" and
> replace it with "local:", and bonus points if you get rid of "uri",
> inside sources of On This Computer group
> (other groups can have the 'uri' attribute mandatory). To edit the key
> use gconf-editor, because it allows you to edit the key by group, not
> as a whole list of groups. Of course, make a copy of the original
> value first, thus you'll have a chance to return to something, if
> anything goes wrong.

Perfect! Yes, it works great now! Woohoo!

So summarise the solution steps in case anyone experiences the same
later on: run gconf-editor , navigate to apps/evolution/addressbook ,
double-click on sources , expand the window that appears, click on the
one with name="On This Computer", click edit, copy the "edit list value"
text, paste it into 2 text editor windows (one to edit, one to keep as a
backup), in the edit version go and delete the uri="file://xxxxxxxxx"
parts, paste it back into the "edit list value" box, click OK, click OK
again, close the gconf-editor, File -> Quit out of evolution, wait for
the window to close, then in a terminal do an "evolution
--force-shutdown", wait 20 seconds, do a "ps auxwf | grep
e-addressbook-factory" to confirm the process is no longer running, then
restart evolution, and check all the local address books open, and they
should all work.

> Hope that helps

It most definitely helps! Thank you very much indeed. :-)

-- All the best,
Nick.