> Can someone steer me to a good set of instructions to fetch and
> install the latest stable Evolution (v3.4.1 ?) and all of its parts
> replacing my current software suite and leaving my data intact?

Google for "building gnome evolution" - you'll get a few hits such as

  http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/build.shtml

  http://mad-scientist.us/evolution.html

I don't know how up to date they are though.

You'll probably also have to compile various Gnome 3.4 components as
well.

> I'm running EVO v3.2.2 from a DEB package that came from the Linux
> Mint-12 and *-buntu repositories.  This will make it easy to remove
> what is already there, but I have no idea how to do the full install
> from non-repository parts.

Building a complex piece of software such as Evo from scratch is not
really something for an inexperienced person - there will be lots of
dependencies you have to satisfy and if you aren't sure what you are
doing you will get yourself (and your system) into a mess!

P.