> Are there actually distro installers that don't allow you to upgrade
> without nuking your home directory, or do some installers not make that
> option clear enough, or am I just misunderstanding the problem?

Well, probably not an issue here, and probably not a mainstream user
distro, but the default filesystem layout for RHEL5 is for there to be
no separate /home partition, and there is no upgrade path for RHEL5 ->
RHEL6 - it's a wipe and re-install.  So I suppose if I was being picky
then that might constitute having to nuke your home directory :-)

P.