On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 10:39 -0500, Miki Kocic wrote:
> There's a short 1,900-word (two-page) polemic called "The Joys of the
> Command Line," which is aimed at Windows users and describes the
> advantages of runlevel 3 by featuring Evolution as an Outlook 2010
> equivalent that can be launched from the command line in a highly
> flexible and full-featured way. Who on the Evolution Team (or elsewhere)
> would be interested in acquiring such a document under a GPL?

Eh?  Launching Evolution, or just Evolution 'components' from the
command line is well documented;  in the documentation. (!!!)

  evolution --express
  evolution --component tasks
  evolution --disable-preview --component mail

But, aside, I think these command-line-RULEZ type screeds (and they tend
to be little else) don't really contribute anything substantive to the
conversation.  They certainly aren't going to win over any users - not
like improved applications, closed bugs, and better documentation will.

And Evolution isn't Outlook 2010, and Outlook 2010 isn't Evolution.
Each is itself.  Open Source applications being pitched as stand-ins for
proprietary / commercial applications is a well traveled road to
nowhere.

> (As an aside, I've observed that both Fedora 17 Xfce and Debian 6.0.6
> use Evolution as the default email client in their base installs. That's
> a bit like both the Tea Party and the Communist Party endorsing the same
> candidate for election. High praise indeed!)

It is the primary client, and collaboration component, of GNOME 3.  So
it seems natural to me.  It integrates with other applications in a way
that has no competitor.