On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Thomas Mittelstaedt
<tmsta...@t-mittelstaedt.de> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 29.06.2013, 13:47 +0100 schrieb Pedro Francisco:
>> Hello!
>> I was talking with a friend about the usefulness of Gmail's
>> "Important" folder/tag (and most recently, the Social / Promotions /
>> Updates / Forums folders/tags) and I was wondering how feasible would
>> it be to implement such a mechanism by using a spam filter.
>>
>> The idea, speaking specifically for the "Important" tag, would be
>> using a bogofilter / spamassassin configuration (independent from the
>> one detecting spam) and training it to detect certain emails and
>> attributing them the 'important' tag.
>>
>> Would this be feasible?
>

> Sure, use message filters, available in the main menu under
> Edit->Message Filters. Create a new rule, add action "Set Label".

Ok, that's the manual way.
I wanted to know if a more automatic way is possible.

For example, in Gmail, I mark an email as 'Important' (not tag: I
click on the 'box' [semi-square-losangle box] after the subject on
conversation view).
I do nothing more: I set _no_ keywords to be tracked, nor from fields.
I just mark the email as 'important'.

Next time the topic is covered elsewhere (for example, a random
iwl3945 driver thread on linux-wireless), as I have marked in the past
an email with similar terms as Important, Gmail tags such mails as
Important and they appear on the Important folder.

I wanted to know if there was the possibility of getting the same
functionality using some sort of combination of existing tools.

--
Pedro