On Wed, 2016-06-22 at 22:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 20:32:55 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Because IMAP MUAs only show a list of messages until you decide to
> > open one, at which point it's downloaded. POP has to download
> > everything even if you don't read it.
> Ok, but that already is the problem, I don't want to have a list with
> hundred mails, I just want to see a few mails on my mobile device,
> downloaded or not downloaded, since the mobile MUA doesn't provide
> the features a Linux MUA provides. Does the mobile device's MUA
> provide offline IMAP?

Depends on the mobile MUA.  On Android the default mail client is
lousy.  But the K-9 MUA is available for free and provides offline IMAP
and the choice to only retrieve the most recent X number of messages
[although I don't see much point in not having everything available on
the phone - they are sorted after all]

> > As to archiving old mails, you can do that if you want just by (in
> > Evolution) configuring "copy folder for offline operation", as one
> > of several alternatives.
> And if I do it again and again, do I get each time a new copy or will
> it sync, so that I might lose some mails?

No, of course not.

> What is the relation between the copied folder/folders and the
> folders on the server?

1:1

> Just this single work flow already doesn't provide what I need, since
> I don't want to see a list with many mails, I only want a list with a
> few mails.

May I ask why?  Messages are (a) sorted and (b) highlighted if they are
read or not.

> And assumed the rest for this single work flow should be
> solvable, it requires reading manuals, especially for the proprietary
> software for the Apple mobile device. I want to make real-time music
> with the tablet PC and with POP accounts I'm able to just get the few
> mails I want, without much effort. IMAP makes it complicated and
> seems not to provide what I want.

But from all these questions it is apparent that POP is what is
actually making in complicated.  With IMAP it is simple: here is your
mailbox.

> I can sort much more than 10,000 mails easily with a Linux MUA, but I
> already can't handle a list (downloaded or not) with around 100 mails
> with the Apple MUA, due to missing functionality. Assumed there
> should be Evolution available for a Linux tablet PC, then there would
> be the other issue, that the Linux tablet PC can't be used for seriou
> s music work.

To me it sounds like what you really need is server-side filtering.

--
Meetings Coordinator, Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers
537 Shirley St NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503-1754 Phone: 616.581.8010