On Thu, 2016-12-29 at 19:35 +0100, Michael Hirmke wrote:
> Hi Ilsa,
>
> > Hi all,
> > I'm trying to set up Evolution (v3.18.5.2, as installed by Ubuntu
> > 16.04)  to pull GAL information from our Active Directory, but it is
> > unbelievably frustrating.
>
> any reason, why you are using LDAP instead of using the native Exchange
> EWS connector and pull the address books as Outlook does?

I presume it's because the OP is trying to get information from Active
Directory and not from an Exchange server - they are different things.

TBH my experience of using AD as if it's a native LDAP server has never
been very fruitful. It always seems as if MS has tweaked it to make it
incompatible with "standard" LDAP.  But it is a few years since I tried
it.

In the first instance try running Evolution from the command line -
that should give you any error messages. If nothing obvious is shown,
then enable LDAP debugging on the addressbook - details on how to do
that are at:

  https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging

I suspect the debugging out will contain private information, so it
would be unwise to share it without sanitizing it first - and it will
be big, so please don't send it to this list - if need be upload it to
something like pastebin and send the link here.

P.