On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 16:29 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> Quoting Jonathan Ryshpan <jonr...@pacbell.net>:
> > I have just switched my email server from POP (inbound.att.net) to
> > IMAP
> > (imap.mail.att.net), as indicated in my last posting) and need
> > help
> > setting up
> > IMAP.  I would like the IMAP connection to run roughly like the
> > POP
> > connection in at least these ways:
> >  * Messages are received from all folders of my account
>
> Standard IMAP behaviour.
>
> >  * Messages are deleted from the server when downloaded
>
> Nope, that is not IMAP.  Not doing that is the point of IMAP.  If
> you
> want that you are going to need to fetchmail to a maildir hierarchy
> -
> or something else wizardly.
>
> My advice is let IMAP be IMAP, use it as IMAP, and be happy.

Or indeed yes, maybe not the _intended_ use of IMAP but I do it here,
copying everything into local folders and deleting off the server as it
does so. Just how I prefer it I guess.

create filters based on mails dropping into your inbox so they go into
a folder or several on your local inbox after arrival.

Cheers, Dom.