On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 15:25 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 20:36 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> An alternative is to just use a distro with better support for
> Evolution (e.g. Fedora), which also meets your VMware requirement.
> OTOH Ubuntu *may* improve general Gnome support in the future now
> that it has abandoned Unity.
>
> Just for clarity: it's really not anything to do with Ubuntu's support
> of Gnome per se.  Ubuntu has always had quite good support for Gnome;
> it just wasn't the default desktop in the past.  It was easy to get
> though.
>
> The problem is that the OP wants to use an LTS release.  Suggesting
> Fedora doesn't meet that requirement; if they wanted to use a rolling
> or non-LTS distro they could also choose Ubuntu 17.10 for example which
> has Gnome 3.26 right now.  As you point out, waiting a few weeks will
> get them a new LTS distro with the Gnome 3.28 release.
>
> There ARE issues with Evolution on Ubuntu but they're not directly
> related to GNOME support.  Basically, Ubuntu chose Thunderbird, not
> Evolution, as the main Ubuntu mail client.  In practice that means
> Evolution doesn't get updated during a release cycle.  So for example,
> right now the version of Evolution available in Ubuntu 17.10 (latest
> release ATM) is only 3.26.1 which has a number of known bugs which have
> been fixed in later 3.26.x point releases.  Ubuntu doesn't package the
> Evolution point releases, so you pretty much jump from an X.1 point
> release to the X+1.1 point release, never getting the X.2, X.3, etc.
> bugfix releases.
>
> It's possible the LTS releases are better about this, I'm not sure.
>
> At some point I'd like to engage the Ubuntu devs about this and see if
> we can do better, but for now that's the way things are.

Well, for what it's worth, I'm running Evolution 3.28 on Debian Testing with
the Cinnamon Desktop and it runs very well, as did Evolution 3.26 before it. I
can't say enough good about Debian Testing w/Cinnamon. I've been running it for
about six months now, and it's been rock solid. I switched to it because I
wanted to run Evolution 3.26, and haven't been disappointed with either Debian
or Evolution.