Il giorno sab, 20/10/2018 alle 18.57 +0100, Pete Biggs ha scritto:
> > Of course I know how it works basically. But this applies the sorting
> > also to messages *inside* the thread. I don't want it so. I want to get
> > messages of a thread ordered by date/ascending, since there could be
> > replies to oders branches of a thread that come first (and It's simpler
> > for reading to have them displayed on top).
> >
> As far as I can see in my version (3.28.5) if you sort by date
> descending (i.e. most recent at top) the threads are sorted internally
> by date ascending (i.e. most recent at bottom).  Is that not what you
> want?

Yes, it is, but it doesn't seem to follow that logic. I'll show you a
thread of this ML as an example.

1. https://postimg.cc/Jt4JDY2h
2. https://postimg.cc/z3thnwsF

pic n.1 is thunderbird; pic n.2 is evolution.
Both are message list with date/discending ordering.

msg.1 e msg.2 are at the same "level"...

n.1 shows thread's messages in ascending mode... so msg.1 come before
(on top) since its date is previous than msg.2.

n.2 show the opposite: also msgs are ordered by date/discending; msg.2
come before (on top)... this makes more difficult to follow the "thread
of thought" imo, than the case n.1.

In thunderbird, thread internal ordering of messages does not change if
I change the "global" ordering (as i.e. I select ordering ascending or
descending by date, internally it's always ascending); in evolution it
does.

--
fp