OK; fair enough -- there is some information there. But it's pretty sparse
and does not talk about local directory storage at all. The worst part (for
me) was that a search for the word 'archive' turned up nothing whatsoever.
Therefore, until you kindly helped me navigate the tendrils of the
documentation -- and I assure you I tried on my own -- I wasn't able to
find this.

So in my case, I went: Account Management -> Microsoft Exchange account
settings -> Exchange MAPI account settings -> Mail folder locations. Here
is the sum total of information about Archives on that page:

"You can define an Archive Folder, for example to move older messages
there. Selecting Message ▸ Archive in the main window moves the selected
message to the specified folder."

I hope that I have presented this in a factual way; I am most assuredly not
trying to be antagonistic or argumentative.
<https://about.me/fbicknel?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=gmail_api&utm_content=thumb>
Frank Bicknell
about.me/fbicknel