On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 09:57 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> Michelle, by the way, the "--restart" argument of the evolution-
> backup
> means to start evolution after the backup is done. I'm not sure
> whether
> you do that on purpose. Also, the missing .running file indicates
> that
> evolution is not running, thus, maybe, the other running instance is
> stale process, or it's running for a different user. I'm just
> guessing
> here. I would try to `kill -9` it and then retest the
> `evolution --quit`.

Yes, I use the --restart option on purpose.

The usage of Evolution in my instance, is also to field e-mails.
Important senders are forwarded by Evolution, to another e-mail account
that is picked up by my mobile phone. So Evolution is usually running
24/7. As a result, the mobile phone only goes "ping" on my hip when
something really important has arrived. As opposed to when it was
directly connected to the in-box and was pinging with every piece of
trash that came through.

I thus use Evolution's rules and forwarding very heavily.

I don't use IMAP because I keep an extensive e-mail history and some
attachments are large; (going back to 2003) so I keep everything local,
and local backups also. That way, I don't get an irate service provider
:-) ... and yes, I accept the loss that inevitably happens
occasionally. Nothing is perfect.

I thus use Pop accounts and Evolution checks about 10 e-mail accounts,
every 10 minutes, so a simple file copy/tar could readily catch
evolution in mid-check.

Some years ago, I was also going to Europe for a few weeks and tried to
copy the files to a laptop and run Evolution from there. It failed, and
I had to run an evolution-backup from the PC, and then import the
backup on the laptop (doing the reverse when I got home) ... and I've
been using evolution-backup ever since.

Hence I rely on evolution-backup rather than a straightforward file
copy. It's neater to quiesce evolution, back it up and then start again
cleanly.

I did alter the script to ask evolution to quit myself (rather than
relying on evolution-backup to do it) and then wait 30 seconds, and if
evolution hadn't quit, then issue a kill. Then wait another few seconds
and then run evolution-backup with the --restart.

Something inside me believe it's more dangerous to have multiple copies
of evolution running, than it is to resort to killing the process.

Michelle.