Thanks for your reply, Milan.
I was not able to find anything like the OAB URL in the properties. Anyway,
there is a checkbox to enable storing the GAL for offline use. Did that, and
voila ... after a restart the list was fully populated! The GAL for our
organization is not too big, so it is not a big deal to keep it that way.
Tonight I'm going to check this on the second machine I mentioned.