On Mon, 2021-09-13 at 09:33 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > >         Hi,
> > > I suppose it's an IMAP account. Try Edit->Preferences->Mail
> > > Accounts-
> > > >
> > > <the account>->Edit->Receiving Options->Show only subscribed
> > > folders
> > > option.
> >
> > I’m having the same issue, but folders keep re-appearing even after
> > enabling that option (Evolution 3.40.4). Could there be another
> > option
> > interfering with that one?
> >

> I suspect it's some oddity with Gmail.
>
> The IMAP folder subscription list is kept on the server not locally
> (although there is probably a cache of the list locally).  Gmail is
> not
> really designed for use with IMAP, hence Google's implementation
> seems
> to be a series of workarounds to try and make it look like it works.
> Specifically, in Gmail the concept of a "folder" doesn't exist, but
> they  use "labels" as an analogue of folders. This largely works.
>
> However, sometimes the interaction between "folders" and "labels" can
> be a bit odd.  Sometimes the Gmail version of folders doesn't work
> like
> folders in other IMAP implementations.
>
> So, you need to go into Gmail settings on the web (not the Evolution
> one) and select "Labels" (Cog -> All Settings -> Labels). In there
> you
> will see a setting against each label name of "Show in IMAP".
> Enable/Disable as desired.

That's exactly right. I've always done this and have had no problems
with it.

Note also that as messages can have multiple labels in Gmail, IMAP will
show these as multiple copies in different folders, some of which may
be subscribed and some not. This doesn't seem to cause any issues as
far as I can tell.

poc