On Mon, 2021-10-18 at 19:20 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > Currently it backs up .local/share/evolution,
> > which gives me a 500 MB file, and takes a little over 6 minutes.
> I'm afraid what you think you need backed up is
> insufficient.  There's an in-app help that details the data locations
> for your version:

As mentioned, I will be changing what gets backed up.

> Help -> Contents -> Common other Questions -> Data storage locations
> What you are backing up is just the data files, not the configuration
> and settings.

They are, however, easily restored by deleting all Evolution-related
data and following the 'wizard', right?

> > I don't keep every backup. I keep 7 days worth, and on the 7th day,
> > I copy that one to the weekly directory, and the same for the
> > monthly, and keep only 4 monthlies.
> Have you tried restoring your backups to a clean system to make sure
> what you are backing up is useful?

Yes. I had a large number of emails that I converted from Pegasus Mail
to maildir (mbox) format, plus another few weeks of new emails, and
when I had a disk crash, I had to reinstall MATE, re-configured
Evolution when I ran it, then restored from that backup. Worked just
fine.

> >I don't use Calendar, Tasks, or Memos.
> If you don't use them, they won't take up any space in your backups.

I'll check that out.

> > > I just use my normal nightly system backup. There's no need for a
> > > separate utility for Evolution.
> > I consider my Evolution backup to be one of my normal nightly
> > backups.
> Sure, so do it properly.  Use the utility for backing up Evolution,
> at least then you know you will capture everything you need in a
> restorable state.

Properly, to me, using the built-in backup, would be to not getting a
requester asking me if I want to shut it down, which is not suitable
for automated backup.

If I had a way to, within a bash script, use the built-in utility, I
would consider it.