Thanks, everyone. I'm going to work on this again over the weekend, when it
will be less of a problem if I break something again.

FTR, my personal Google account has 2FA and I am using CalDAV with an app
password to login. That works. My work Google account does not seem to offer
2FA, so I was using CalDAV with the Google setting "allow insecure apps." Will
evaluate the alternatives and test over the weekend.