On Tue, 2022-10-11 at 06:39 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-10-10 at 20:04 +0200, Pelle Windestam via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > Could the fact that there are lots of e-mails there be causing this?
>
>         Hi,
> there is a folders.db file, which contains an information about the
> messages in all the folders for each account. This information is used
> in the message list, apart of other things. That's an SQLite database,
> I do not think they override the whole file, definitely not for me, at
> least according to [1]. My largest folders.db file has 232M.
>
> Apart of the folders.db file there are respective messages stored,
> those which you opened. For folders marked for offline synchronization
> those messages, which had been downloaded. Once the message is
> downloaded, it's not re-saved, the cached file is used.
>
>         Bye,
>         Milan
>
> [1] $ cat /proc/`pidof evolution`/io
>     rchar: 3004641844
>     wchar: 43846998
>     syscr: 914029
>     syscw: 112992
>     read_bytes: 323649536
>     write_bytes: 5922816
>     cancelled_write_bytes: 0

These are my folders.db files under ~

$ find . -name folders.db | xargs du -h
3,7M
./.cache/evolution/mail/847a0198a63c0b6b4b037e4b714cb91938896155/folders.db
11M     ./.cache/evolution/mail/c3ff02a3a11ecce072da7e16bbd5b885dfb8aebd/folde
rs.db
72K     ./.local/share/evolution/mail/local/folders.db
4,0K    ./.local/share/evolution/mail/vfolder/folders.db

So nothing huge here. Evolution is still writing a lot of data, maybe 10
minutes after startup it has already written about 110 MB.

$ cat /proc/`pidof evolution`/io
rchar: 122878766
wchar: 195699649
syscr: 233711
syscw: 203037
read_bytes: 4096
write_bytes: 112295936
cancelled_write_bytes: 12288

Quite mysterious this whole business. I shall try disabling one of my accounts
and see if that makes any difference.

//Pelle