On Wed, 2022-10-26 at 11:24 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-10-21 at 13:09 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > >
> > > They do, an example set of headers from one of the replies I got
> > > recently:

> > The threading information needs some serious work. The References:
> > header doesn't match up with the message being replied to, in fact
> > the
> > only consistent reference is to the
> > topic/xx...@discourse.gnome.org ID.
> > Consequently there's no real threading in the mail from Discourse,
> > everything is at the same level underneath the first mail - and it
> > doesn't take much for not even that to work.
> >

> > And I still can't find out how to get an email copy of my own posts.
> > Is
> > that even possible?
>
> I mentioned your objections in a post to the Fedora Users list (which
> uses Mailman3), and this was a reply from one of its users:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/us...@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/JUIEBVLICRHOEW6IQ34QS4445N6CNNVN/

That's interesting. It looks like Gnome are using an old version of
Discourse then.

The comments about categories and topics is interesting. I asked if it
were possible to create sub-categories in the Applications category and
the answer was a complete and resounding NO. It seems to me that they
think users/we/contributors should be interested in the whole of the
Gnome ecosystem not just one bit of it.  This is a Gnome Discourse
issue, not a Discourse issue.

Similarly with sporadic emails - that's a Gnome infrastructure thing.

Plain text emails going into the system should be just that. I send
them as plain text not as markdown. If I wanted to give them some form
of extra formatting I would use HTML. Can't text just be interpreted as
text. Or it should at least be a bit more intelligent about it - if
there are markdown elements, interpret it as markdown, otherwise it's
plain text.

P.