On Fri, 2001-11-30 at 11:43, Mark Neill wrote:
> > This is not true.  Deleting a message in evolution, then accessing the
> > imap folder with outlook shows the deleted message message. At least
> > with Exchange as the imap server.
> >
> > Deleting a message in outlook and going into the folder with evolution
> > does not show the message deleted with outlook, even with show deleted
> > messages selected.
>
> This is because of Evo's delete behavior.  Deleted messages are not
> removed until you expunge.  An Evo-deleted mail is only deleted in Evo's
> VFolder configuration.  When you expunge, the needed DELETE commands are
> issued to the servers to physically delete the messages.

As a clarification:

No, the needed "delete commands" (actually, you tell the IMAP server to
mark them as deleted) are done on a timer (we sync flags in "batch mode"
every couple of minutes or whenever you do something that forces us to
sync flags)

> To explain...no, will take too long.  To summarize, "delete" in Evo is a
> logical delete.  "Expunge" is a physical delete.

That's how it works in IMAP too.

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.