I did check the archive.  I saw that you posted a question on Dec 9
right here:

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2001-December/015609.html

Your issue didn't sound the same.  My system works perfectly when I log
in as me.  It's only when my wife is logged in and I run Evolution from
a terminal after su'ing to my account.  It happens every time with 1.01.

Maybe I should have phrased it a little differently...

I just switched to a new install of Redhat 7.2 and updated everything
with Red Carpet.  Why can't I just open Evolution and have it "just
work" with the stable version of Evolution in Red Carpet?  If it doesn't
"just work" is that a bug worth filing?  I gave a very simple method of
reproducing the bug on a very common platform.

Thanks.

Gerald