ok, I've figured some of this out (like the fact that evolution uses the
text[] things for the themes), but am running into issues that I now
believe are actually problems with evolution (or gtk)

anyway, in my default style, I have the following entry:

        text[NORMAL]      = "#C3C3C9"   #Text color

it works well enough, producing some grey text that's ever so slightly
bluish.  evolution displays it just fine (as do other programs when I
use fg[NORMAL] with the same value).  However, when I use this color,
the "email headers" portion of message goes completely black (or
something very close - it's somewhat hard to tell).  After playing
around a bit, I tried other values, like 0000FF and 00FFFF, both of
which generated a light grey box instead of black.  but the instant that
the red field is set to anything above 0F, that box goes black.  I've
tested with a wide range of values, from 000000, 0F0000 and 100000 (the
last of which results in a black box) to any number of other values for
green and blue..  but it seems to be that only the red settings make a
difference.  None of the other values (bg[], base[], etc) seem to make a
difference here, either.

anyway, just thought I'd point it out in case it really is a bug.

-Chris