I'm doing the exact same thing as Kenneth.  One RH 7.1 server (X client)
and four Win98 machines running Cygwin/XFree86 (X server).  Not doing
SSH but rather logging in to the Gnome desktop with Evo autostarting.
Works well.  If I get ambitious, I might try SSH to avoid having to
login to the Gnome desktop.

Boy how I wish there were a native Windows Evo.......(but this method
does work quite well).