I have to agree.  ldap lookups work for me, but it's schetchy.  The only
real reason why I want to have an ldap source configured is because I'd
like to have it autocomplete.  Netscape 4.x/Mozilla/Netscape 6.x both do
this from ldap sources very nicely.  We don't use Exchange/Outlook here,
but the look/feel features of Evo are much nicer than any other Gnome
email client, so that's why I use it.  With more than 4000 people here,
and email addresses being [EMAIL PROTECTED]
it's a big pain to have to memorize addresses.

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 12:23, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> ons, 2002-08-14 kl. 12:40 skrev Tong Eng Chiah:
>
> >  i'm using it.
> > works fine.
>
> No it doesn't! Even if people do as you say.
>
> 1: There's no ldaps possibility (e.g. one can change the port, but not
> the service/protocol and TLS certificate verification);
>
> 2: and there's no Address list possibility - as there is in disk-based
> Evo "Contacts" - even given that you're using ldap objectClass
> EvolutionPerson and evolutionPersonList on your ldap server, which only
> source people know about anyway, because the binary rpm people - like me
> - don't even *know* about the Evolution schema. Without being told by
> people like Adam Williams.
>
> > just need to key in the LDAP server hostname and a search base
> > what problems u facing?
>
> The above. I have Openldap 2.1.3/Berkeley 4.0 BDB running on my Compaq
> Presario Evo notebook cum server and do TLS/ldaps for everything that
> I'm able to. Ditto TLS pop3 and TLS SMTP. Evo falls far short. I know
> it's being worked on, but nobody should think that 1.x is anywhere near
> good, yet. Moreover, using your own ldap server as a source for names
> for your message composer "to" contacts list needs special ldap indexing
> on your server.
>
> Everything that Evo (my chosen client, since Mozilla 1.0 makes no
> pretention of ever being an Exchange client contender), doesn't do at
> the moment, Mozilla 1.0 *does*. Properly. Without being an Exchange
> client contender, that is.
>
> And I'm neither a new Evo user nor Openldap user.
>
> > >Anybody using a LDAP connection as address book? Somehow I have problems
> > >to set that up. Posted the problem twice already, but it seems I put a
> > >stamp on it that says "please ignore" :-) I would be really glad if
> > >somebody can help me solving the problem.
> > ></izzy>
>
> Didn't see your original posting, Izzy, 'cos I've been away for a while.
>
> Best,
>
> Tony
>
> --
>
> Tony Earnshaw
>
> The usefulness of RTFM is vastly overrated.
>
> e-post:               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www:          http://www.billy.demon.nl
> gpg public key:       http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor
>
> Telefoon:     (+31) (0)172 530428
> Mobiel:               (+31) (0)6 51153356
>
> GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
> 3BE7B981

Sean M. Alderman
ITRACK Systems Analyst
PACE/NCI - NASA Glenn Research Center
(216) 433-2795

Calling a windowed operating system "Windows" is like naming an
automobile "Wheels."