tor, 2002-11-07 kl. 02:09 skrev David McNab:

> Evolution is an amazingly good email and groupware client in almost every respect
>except one - speed.

Agreed.

> For one thing, evolution takes about 10 seconds to start up (on a 1.5GHz Athlon XP).

Think yourself lucky, it takes at least 30 seconds on an RH 7.2 / kernel
2.4.19 (faster than 2.4.18), Gnome 1.4, 128MB 869 MHz Duron Compaq with
a 20 MB IDE disk.

> Also, it takes forever to read in emails, even when reading from local spool file
>(not POP3). Specifically, it takes up to 1 second to read in each message and sort it
>to the folders.

Don't know what version of Evo you're running, but with 1.0.8 doing a
'killev' first and then finding all *.ibex files and deleting them
regularly does wonders with reading in new mail from /var/mail MBOX mail
(same machine) with SSL-based pop3.

> On sending (via SMTP on localhost), it takes up to 10 secs to get a short text-only
>message out.

This might well be due to a duff DNS server; check that, at least. Mine
is super fast.

> On the whole, Evolution is my email prog of choice. But the painful performance has
>for now forced me onto Sylpheed (which works super-fast in the same environment). But
>I find Sylpheed to be a bit flaky - for example, outbound mails fail to actually
>send, and no indication is given of this.

I changed to Evo from Netscape 4.7, which was also super fast - but I'd
never go back again. Apart from anything else, Evo has a lot more
features - including my LDAP-based address list.

> Is there anything I can do to make Evolution run faster?

More RAM? Most of my speed problems come through shitty IDE disk
swapping - when will people design payable notebooks with a SCSI disk? I
have a colleague with a newish 1 GB RAM IBM Thinkpad and it's super fast
with Red Hat / Gnome 2.

> (To be fair, I have to say that I've got about 45 physical folders, each with
>between 10 and 4000 messages).

I just counted and I have around 50 folders with anything up to 7,500
stored mails - mailing list archives, for reference and help.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw