On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 12:31, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 17:39, Jim Meyer wrote:
> > I, too, bought a Zaurus before I fully understood the issues involved;
> > it's largely because of the fact that the Zaurus is a Linux box and not
> > a PalmOS device that the sync'g system built up around Palm's standards
> > doesn't work for the Zaurus.
>
> I would understand there being a difference between the synching of a
> Palm OS device/ Windows CE/ etc and of a Linux device.
>
> What I find incredible is that Evolution being a Linux program doesn't
> support a Linux PDA.  I would think that Evolution should support any
> Linux PDA BEFORE any Windows/Palm device (unless the Zaurus wasn't
> available when Ximian's developers were working on a PDA conduit for
> Evo).

Actually, it's not Evo's fault. Evo supports gnome-pilotd, which is
meant to support conduit-based PDA sync'g. gnome-pilotd doesn't support
Zaurus.

Ettore wrote a wonderful whitepaper discussing the ins and outs of Evo's
structure and design; here's a pointer to the part which applies to this
discussion:

http://developer.ximian.com/articles/whitepapers/evolution/#SECTION00053000000000000000

Cheers!

--j
--
Jim Meyer, Geek at Large                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]