On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 10:16, Jason Frisvold wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 10:03, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 09:26, Jason Frisvold wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > >   I've been using Evolution for a short time now and it seems to be a
> > > great product.  I have a problem I would like to solve, though.  I use
> > > GPG to sign my emails.  I'd like to be able to sign them and have a user
> > > with a windows machine and PGP be able to verify the signature.
> > > However, PGP doesn't seem to be able to recognize the GPG signature.
> >
> > how so?
>
> Well, we use Microsoft Exchange as the Mail server and Outlook as the
> client.  Outlook sees the message itself, but the GPG signature arrives
> as an attachment (signature.asc) ...

ah, that's because we follow the PGP/MIME specification (see
http://www.ietf.org/rfcs/rfc3156.txt for more info). It's been requested
a number of times that we support the inline-pgp kludge a number of
times.

> I have been very unsuccessful in forcing it to not attach...

ah, yea - you can't.

>   I was
> under the impression that the signature should be ascii...

it is :-)

>   Any idea why
> it's showing up as an attachment?

yea, we create a detached signature and use the original text part as
one part of the multipart/signed and the ascii-armoured signature block
as the second (this is what rfc3156 demands).

> > no, but what parameters would you call gpg with different from what we
> > already do?
>
> Not sure yet ..  was wondering so I could start playing with the
> parameters in an effort to get this to work in an expected manner.

ok, so changing the options won't actually work.

> > we don't tell gpg to use any gpg.conf file, but gpg does still check
> > it's own config settings in ~/.gnupg/options if that is what you mean?
>
> Yes, that's basically what I mean ...  Apparently GPG changed since
> 1.0.7 (which is what RH8.0 ships with) and is supposed to now use a
> gpg.conf file rather than options.  Although, it still read options if
> it's there...

ah, right.

> > not really, no. other than "Always trust" which sends the --always-trust
> > option to gpg.
>
> *nod*
>
> > because gpg implements the Pretty Good Privacy specification. the name
> > wasn't chosen by which executable it runs, but rather the specification
> > it implements.
>
> Oh, ok ...  :)  Was just curious...  You have a FAQ question explicitly
> stating that Evolution no longer supports PGP, but still call it PGP
> within the program ...  Just a little confusing...  I get the point of
> it though...

yea, the FAQ should probably be more clear and say that we no longer
support "NAi's PGP implementations" or something such as that.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.