On Tuesday 21 January 2003 09:38 am, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 07:59, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

> > > this is mostly an FYI that may shine some light on some things.
> > >
> > > the "Threaded view" setting is not global, it is per-folder.
> > >
> > > opening a folder you've never opened before will use the global
> > > setting (which is in the config.xmldb). I think it defaults to
> > > off. There's actually no way to set this via the UI that I can
> > > recall, but there used to be.
> >
> > Jeffrey,
> >
> > I have two copies of this,
> > ~/evolution/config.xmldb &
> > ~/evolution/private/config.xmldb
> >
> > Which one should I be editing to change the global defaults?
>
> the first one. the second one just holds your passwords.

Found and edited.  Thanks.  I hope this solves the problem so that "who
cares what caused it."

> > > also, make sure you are running bonobo-conf 0.16, as that is the
> > > only version of bonobo-conf that will reliably save config
> > > settings when the system has write errors.
> >
> > What is the best way to test my version?
>
> rpm -qa | grep bonobo-conf

I have
libbonobo-conf0-0.16-1.ximian.1
bonobo-conf-0.16-1.ximian.1
so I guess that's not the reason for my problem.

> > > not sure any of these FYI's light up any lightbulbs as to why you
> > > may be having problems.
> > >
> > > now... assuming that doesn't solve it for ya, then the only other
> > > explanation is that evolution-mail is not shutting down cleanly
> > > and is thus not ever getting to the point where it flushes the
> > > settings to disk. if you control-c or killev, this is likely the
> > > problem.
> >
> > That happens sometimes as there are times when the "Evolution is
> > closing..." box does not go away (for hours).  Other times, I may
> > exit the window manager without exiting Evolution first.  BUT, this
> > seems to happen even with a proper shutdown.
>
> *shrug*

Well, hopefully, by my manually editing ~/evolution/config.xmldb, I
have solved the problem so that the cause of the problem is rendered
irrelevant.

Thanks again.  Art