On Jan 5, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Hal Rosenstock wrote:

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for improving the SA scalability; there's
no quick solution to this AFAIK.

It would be interesting to see an apples to apples comparison of
OpenSM and proprietary SMs in terms of running on the same hardware
and the transaction rate for various things.

I think this warrants an open discussion if people are serious about
working on this issue.

Agreed. I agree that this set of issues has come up many times before on the list; it will be interesting to see if anyone will *do* anything about it this time. :-)

(obviously, I'm only interested as a consumer of the end result)

It might also be worthwhile to start a whole new discussion about making a
better CM (at least from the ULP perspective). One that offers simple
mechanisms for those who don't need/care about the details, but also offers complex/detailed mechanisms (perhaps remarkably like today's mechanisms).

I've heard similar comments before but this too will take significant
where-with-all IMO.

Ditto my above remarks.  :-)

--
Jeff Squyres