Given the discussion and confusion about this file, perhaps that text file should be expanded and explained a bit more...?

Two quick suggestions:

- explain what is meant by public/private/private but used

- it might be good to have at least one-liner summaries of what each library is/is for. For the uninitiated, that might be incredibly useful

On Jun 11, 2009, at 2:15 AM, Tziporet Koren wrote:

Todd Rimmer wrote:

> What does this category mean:
>
> Private but used by some apps:

This means that although these libraries were designed as private some
apps/libs used them.
We found this when we did this list.
The apps should be changed not to use these libraries but this is the
situation in 1.4.x
This is the reason we publish such a list - so new apps will use only
public libraries and will not count on any private library

> I see that libibcommon is in this category, however I have observed
> that mvapich and mvapich2, link with this library.  Which in turn
> means that all MPI user applications built with mvapich or mvapich2
> also link with it.

You are correct and this is actually old link. MPI will not use it in
1.5, since libibcommon was removed from the new management tree.

Tziporet

Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems