I was suggesting taking advantage of the Excel function MDETERM rather
than writing your own. You can simply call the Excel function within
VBA by using "application.MDETERM".  There is no doubt a clever way to
write your own procedure to do the determinent of a general nxn
matrix, but I have not thought this through myself.

good luck,
Rick