From: excel-macros@googlegroups.com [mailto:excel-mac...@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:08 PM
To: MS EXCEL AND VBA MACROS
Subject: $$Excel-Macros$$ Use VBA to determine Windows Groups permissions
for a folder

I currently have a VBA function that, supplied with the name of a
Windows Group, retrieves the names of the members of the group. (it
uses GetObject("WinNT://" & strDomain & "/" & strGroup & ",group"))

Using this info, I do a variety of things, including notification of
changes to the contents of the folder.
This works fine for the network shares that I own, because I know the
names of the Windows groups assigned to each share.

But now, I am challenged by the need to first use VBA to determine the
names of the Windows Groups and levels of permissions for a specific
file/folder.  THEN expand the groups to process the members.

(I have to customize the notifications based on the level of read/
write permissions)

I located a VBScript that seems to use WMI, but cannot get it to work
in VBA.

Has anyone done something like this?

And before you ask... using the GUI to pull 4,000 names and copy/paste
them into a spreadsheet and remove duplicates is NOT a solution!

thanks,

Paul

1. Excel and VBA Tutorials(Video and Text), Free add-ins downloads at
http://www.excelitems.com
3. Learn VBA Macros at http://www.vbamacros.blogspot.com
4. Excel Tips and Tricks at http://exceldailytip.blogspot.com