Thank you.  yes, I was saying AK40 was "Supply"  I couldn't remember
"AK40" and just named it. It never once crossed my mind that it was
checking the word Supply instead of the cell AK40. In cell AK40, I
have a list of values it may be- 101,
201,202,203,301,302,401,402,403,403, etc. I have different colors for
each value.

Ok, thanks for your help. You have no idea how much value it was to me.

Robert

At 2009-09-14  01:53 PM, you wrote:
>I missed your original post, but I went out and found it:
>Get value of AK40, call it "Supply"
>Select case "Supply"
>         Case 101:
>                 DoThis("C10"),Green,White
>                 DoThis("J10"),Green,White
>                 DoThis("AB10"),Green,White
>         Case 201
>                 DoThis("C10"),Blue,White
>                 DoThis("J10"),Blue,White
>                 DoThis("AB10"),Blue,White
>         Case else
>                 .Value= "ERROR. UNRECOGNIZED CODE VALUE."
>End Select
>
>Sub DoThis(ThisCell As Range, BackColor,FontColor) with ThisCell
>         .Interior.ColorIndex = BackColor
>         .Interior.Pattern = xlSolid
>         .Interior.ColorIndex = FontColor
>End With
>End Sub
>

>wow.. to begin at the beginning....
>
>Are you saying that "Supply" is the NAME of the
>
>cell AK40???
>

>or are you saying you're storing the value of the
>
>cell "AK40" in the VARIABLE called "Supply"?
>

>In your Select Case statement, what YOU are doing is
>
>testing the letters S-u-p-p-l-y and saying:
>
>If these letters ever equal 101, 201, etc..
>
>well.. it WON'T!!!
>

>let's say the answer to my first question is that you're
>
>using a VARIABLE called "Supply"...
>
>Then I would:
>

>Dim Supply
>
>Supply = Range("AK40").Value
>

>now Supply contains the value of the cell AK40.
>

>then the Case statement looks like:
>

>Select Case Supply
>

>now, as long as AK40 is 101 or 201, the Case statement should work
>

>Except for the else statement...
>
>when you use .Value
>
>the "." implies that the object you're assigning the "Value" to
>
>has been defined.. which you have not.
>
>Are you wanting the AK40 range to say "ERROR...."??
>

>then use:  Range("AK40").Value = "....."
>

>next....
>
>Your function / sub call is a mess.
>
>You're defining "ThisCell" as a "Range"object.
>the strings of characters "C10", "J10", "AB10" are not "Ranges"
>they're strings of characters.
>A "Range" is an object that has all kinds of attibutes.
>(try looking at "Range Object" and select Range Object Members,
>you'll find about 170 attributes)
>
>I did some simplistic cleanup and came up with:
>
>Option Explicit
>Sub test()
>     Dim Supply, stat
>     Const Black = 0
>     Const White = 2
>     Const Red = 3
>     Const Green = 4
>     Const Blue = 5
>     Const Yellow = 6
>     Const Magenta = 7
>     Const Cyan = 8
>     Supply = Range("C10").Value
>     Select Case Supply
>             Case 101
>                    stat = DoThis(Range("C10"), Green, White)
>             Case 201
>                    stat = DoThis(Range("C10"), Blue, White)
> [...]

1. Excel and VBA Tutorials(Video and Text), Free add-ins downloads at
http://www.excelitems.com
3. Learn VBA Macros at http://www.vbamacros.blogspot.com
4. Excel Tips and Tricks at http://exceldailytip.blogspot.com